Friday, January 20, 2017

On the eve of your birthday.

     Tomorrow's your birthday. And I'm gonna write something tonight because I have to go to work in the morning and I might not get it done.



     How did we get here?

     I'm sentimental and ornery and you're creative and bouncy. You knew me when I was quiet -- when I used to mostly talk on the internet, before I started listening to country which had to be a hundred years ago -- and you were eager to learn and way too excited. You liked my name and I liked how you signed with x's. Something clicked inside and suddenly we were friends. How did it happen?

     We wrote tons and tons of emails and you saw the other sides of me and I finally memorized all your siblings' names. We wrote and wrote and dreamed and planned. One spring day I drove with my mom to the airport and there you were coming out of the terminal, and I swear my heart leaped and got caught somewhere around my throat. I don't think they like it when you scream in airports. But hugging you for the first time was one of the biggest things that's ever happened to me, and you know how we are -- we have to scream.

     Remember the ferris wheel and the hotel steps and the strawberries and the kittens and the kayaking and the bookstores? And singing Stars in the van with all of us kids? Grandpa made us popcorn and Mrs. H said you had lovely teeth. (You do.) Everyone thought your accent was the coolest ever and I don't know how many times I said, "This is my friend, Naomi, she's visiting from Belgium." And I was so proud to say it, and to introduce you as my best friend.

     I never had a best friend before you. I'll never have one after you either, cuz you're my best best friend.

     And now I've known you for four years and you're eighteen. (Or, you will be in a few hours.) Eighteen, and beautiful with frizzy brown hair and laughing eyes. Eighteen with a heart ready to serve and hands ready to work. Eighteen with a deep love for your family and for your God.

     You inspire me every day, and that's not a joke. You make me want to be a nicer person and a better writer and a more faithful Follower, and you make me want to take lots of pictures and eat lots of ice cream and talk to little boys and make people smile, because you make me smile. You're like no one else I know -- you're totally unique and totally weird and totally genuine.

    I'm cowgirl boots and you're tennis shoes; I'm horses and dogs and you're sparkles and washi tape. We're so different. You don't get my gory westerns and I was freaked out by Call the Midwife. But we're okay, you and me, and I am blessed beyond reason and anything I deserve to have you. Have fun watching P&P with your girls and eating garlic bread; I'm wishing dreadfully that I was there, but you'll have fun without me and someday soon we'll see each other again.



     Happy birthday Naomi! <3

     Love,
      ~Emma

16 comments:

  1. Aw. Emma. This is such a sweet post. The friendship you and Naomi have is so precious! :D Love the picture of you two reflected in the window! It's so cute.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NAOMI!!! I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful day!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhmmmmmm yes okay *sniff* IM OKAY TOTALLY NOT SOBBING OVER HERE

    geesh. HAPPY BIRTHDAY NAOMI!! *shivers at the thought of turning 18* *moans cuz its coming*

    and legit Emma. You've got mean writing skills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhp. (No. Really.) (REMEMBER THAT?? :-))

    No really though, my gosh, Emma, why. :-) This made me choke up and just stars and stockings God bless you and thank you and wow, I'm lucky. This post was so beautiful and nostalgic and I'm so happy. Thank you so much. x

    THANK YOU. :-) And yes, we will meet SOON. LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

    PS If you can handle westerns, you should be able to handle CTM. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I remember.

      Well SORRY but I had to. ;-) I'm glad it made you choke up. I have not lived in vain. And YES, we will.

      PS I know, I should, I don't know what's wrong with me.

      Delete
  4. This was ssooo sweet, Emma. It made me want to cry. :') You guys are THE BEST. <3

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, Naomi, and I love you, Emma <3 <3 <3

    Have a great birthday--I'm so happy I know both of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the sweetest thing and I just teared up. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NAOMI!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS. My best friend in my mid-teens lived hours away from me (we met through online writing, too) and I feel this so much! Enjoy your friendship... it's so precious and special - you'll remember it forever! (and Happy Birthday to naomi!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful and precious!! Lovely post Emma and Happy Happy Birthday Naomi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can one ship a friendship? Because you two are the best! And happy birthday Naomi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your lovely birthday wishes. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I love your blog so much; you have a really beautiful design! This made me so happy; you guys clearly have a wonderful friendship and I think that's so wonderful, aw this was so cute! I have followed your blog because I think it’s so good!!! I would love it if you had a look at my blog; I’m a very passionate teenage blogger but I’m quite new and really need the support! Perhaps we could become friends? Thank you so much // Jeani xxx www.jeanithoughts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. FEELIIIIIIIIINGS <3

    HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Naomi! I second everything Emma said in this post <3

    You're both blessings in this universe (for reals) and I'm so glad I get to know and love and admire y'all :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sitting here rereading this and close to tears what are you DOING Emma.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!