Monday, March 13, 2017

create

 

      To preface this, I will say that Youtube is a beautiful thing. This afternoon while I was writing a very boring paper for school, listening to one movie theme after another, I realized that my entire homeschooled career would have been 99% less interesting and bearable if it hadn't been for Youtube and its unending musical possibilities. Also, autoplay. You never know what's going to come on next. You discover the most beautiful gems (like this one that's got me walking around with stars in my eyes) (I just want to listen to that song over and over and over).

    Today the music made me think. I write. I don't know why, I just do. I have all my life. I'm really bad at it but once in a while I crank out something really good (I only show the good stuff on this blog, so you all think I'm amazing, but actually...I'm not). I'm terrible and yet I keep trying -- even when I hate it -- even when there doesn't seem to be any point or any reason to keep going.

    So...why do I write? Why do we all have that one thing we love to do that we couldn't live without? I think maybe everyone does, even if they haven't found what it is yet. It's some sort of need to create. Why do we have this crazy urge to make our own form of beauty when everyone else and their second-cousin has already written the book, made the movie, recorded the song, stitched the quilt? It's all there for us to enjoy, but no, that's not enough. We've got to do it ourselves, our own way, and we don't feel complete until we do.

    I believe it's because we are born of a Creator. We are all made in the image of God and we are His beautiful work. He was the first One to create beauty, and He planted that same seed of desire in all of us. Because of Him we have to do this.

    Those are my thoughts. How do you feel about it?

~Emma

 

8 comments:

  1. All the feels right now. Your words are simple but so true, you couldn't be more strait to this amazing point. HAH, so YouTube is probaly one of my biggest distractions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhh myyyy I never thought about it that way that's beautiful. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you! I think it's amazing God gave us a little portion of the same drive He created our universe with. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you describe writing as a 'need to create'. A 'need', like if you didn't a part of you would die.

    I think it's also powerful how music has the ability to get us through tough times, help us earn and enjoy life a little more.

    Also, maybe your other work isn't that bad. Maybe, take a dive in the deep end and publish it (...you can always delete it later).

    I love the way this was written, Emma!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more! It sounds like something CS Lewis would say, but then again, you went out there and wrote it yourself in your own , beautiful form. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much and completely agree!

    (But Emma? YOU ARE A GOOD WRITER. Seriously. I've never read anything by you--blog posts, novel snippets, or even instagram posts--that weren't really, really good. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this.<3

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sighs*

    Well, one thing I know. Emma is one of the best writers I know, so why should I even TRY. :P

    But seriously, this was amazing. I'd never thought about it that way, but it makes so much sense. Don't you love it when you just get this amazing thought, all of a sudden?! I don't get them very often at all, but when they do come, I feel like twirling and skipping and dancing. (Maybe I'm weird like that. You seem so much more sensible than me. But then again, you ARE two years older. Two years can make a big difference. ;P)

    Writing is something that I have an unquenchable urge to do, that's for sure. In fact, it only increases. And yeah, I relate to what you said a lot - I wrote a lot, but a lot of it is rubbish, and only occasionally I can write out something that is actually not that bad. Often times they come when I don't even try - they just write themselves. I've no idea if that's the sign of a good writer or bad writer though, haha. :P

    Ahem. Well anyways, I feel like my blabbering has rather ruined the incredibly deep, thoughtful and beautiful feel that was going on a moment ago. I just wanted to say I loved this, Emma. That's all.

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!