Saturday, April 7, 2018

spring break // 2018



People always say this, but I'm going to say it again because no matter how many times you say something it doesn't make it any less true: 

the Lord's plans are not our plans. His timing is not our timing, and His ways are definitely not our ways. They're higher and they will prevail every.single.freaking.time. And sometimes, in our human perception, they suck.

I've heard this all my life, and I still need to remind myself of it before I get too confident on my own high horse and think I've got control of my every move. The truth is I have zero control, and I'm pretty sure the Lord knows that the best way to drill this reality into my head is to let me experience it up-close and personal.

Nearing the middle of this semester at college, I was feeling done. (Done in this instance means any one of frustrated, exhausted, incapable, or starting to hate all my teachers, not literally finished, because unfortunately this is only my first year.) I was holding out until Easter break, when I could forget it all for a little while, and the sun would come out, and we could wear short sleeves and go places and watch movies and make cookies like I didn't have time to. Mike and I had such wonderful plans for break and all the things we could do. My sister Sadie had been sick for a week, but I was still feeling great, and in my proud head, there was no way I was getting sick.

(You see where this is going, don't you?)

I got sick. My mom got sick. Sadie stayed sick (with me, which was really nice of her.) My dad got sick. Molly came home from school, made it through Easter, went back to school and got sick. (Shocker.) So I spent my whole first week of break in bed, I had no voice to sing Easter morning, and had a nasty cough following me for the rest of my second week. Not what I had planned. At all.

Part of me was like, what the heck? Here it is Easter weekend and my whole family feels like literal crap, when we need to be celebrating the Savior! Part of me was a little mad. But I know how I am, and I know how He speaks to me. I kept thinking, Yes, Lord, I get it. I'm not happy about this but I get it.

It's humbling. That you can still worship the Lord when you do feel like literal crap -- and you should. That you can settle for less than your best, because it's not about your strengths and whatever you're capable of. Cause here's the thing, my friends, and you already know this: we are really, really weak. In fact we're useless, without the Savior in us. When we forget He's there, and edge Him out on what should be His control in us...well, He's in control in the end, and He's going to get that across. It might come on like a cool spring breeze, but more than likely it's going to come on more like a sore throat and a headache.


I didn't get to travel far and wide while I was on break, but I did learn a few things. I'm blown-away grateful for a guy who will come to my house and spoon-feed me when I look like crap just because he wants to, and for a family who can still make me laugh when we're all in the same rocking boat. 

Sara Groves, in her song called This Cup, sings about our "chasm of need" as humans. I love this phrase so much. Do you know what a chasm is? It's defined as a "deep fissure in the earth, rock, or other surface" or  "a profound difference between people, viewpoints, feelings, ect." I'm going to combine those two and call it a "profound fissure between what we need and what we can provide for ourselves." That's where our Savior comes in. That's why He was sent, worked, died, and came back -- because we have such a huuuuuuuge chasm of need that we can never, ever fill or compensate for. But that chasm is erased, and so I can stand in Christ, and run and dance and sing (even when my throat is swollen and I have no voice!) and be lacking in nothing because my spirit is full, and my need is no more.

See? I'm blown away.

Easter never disappoints. This whole past week I've been thinking about it, and slowly getting back my health, and I have gotten to do some of the things I wanted to over break. Nothing has been a mistake, about my silly little disappointments, down to the serious details of my life. I may not have wanted it that way, but I don't know. His ways are not my ways; His ways are far, far above and better.

***************

4 comments:

  1. Aw, Emma. What a beautiful, thought-provoking post. I'm sorry you've been sick, but I'm so glad you've been able to find joy even in the midst of it! *hugs*

    "Sadie stayed sick (with me, which was really nice of her.)" Haha. That made me chuckle. Sisters are the best, right? ;)

    Mike sounds like such an awesome guy! So happy for you! :D

    And yes, God's ways are not our ways...they're a million times better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you were sick, and that college is rough! You've only got a little longer for this year though; I'm assuming you get out in May?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good post!

    Haha, I'll admit, when I was reading this, I thought, "Hm, this post is not what I expected it would be" -- which is kind of ironic, considering the subject matter. ;D

    Thank you for sharing your experiences and being honest! Remembering exactly Who has the upper hand in our lives is something we all need to be more aware of, true.

    Happy belated Easter/Spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm sorry that God's reminder in your life feels like a sore throat and a headache rather than a cool spring breeze. Someday, Emma, you will be able to trust Him so much that His presence and voice in your life will almost always be a gentle breeze.

    And I also think, dear Emma, that God will do some amazing things with your life. The harder the lessons, the stronger we become, and I know He can do some pretty incredible things with our lives, if we only have the courage to say yes.

    Hope you're feeling better, both motivation wise and health wise!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!