Friday, March 23, 2018

the fever



    Today the sun was shining until 7 O'CLOCK PM and when I took the dogs out walking I wasn't sinking my feet into two feet of snow with every step, and the birds were talking to me, and my fingers didn't feel numb and close to falling off and I didn't get an ice cream headache with every inhale. 


    I feel like taking the whole house apart, cleaning everything down with lemon juice and baking soda, painting furniture and doors and airing my quilt outside on the line.
    I put on CELTIC WOMAN and started singing songs I haven't thought of the words to in five years.

   And I realized that no matter how busy I am, no matter what is most important to me or whatever becomes imminently important in that moment, there is one thing that will always hound me and chase me and pester me to no end if I don't do it. And that's writing.

     It's still 30 degrees outside and there's probably going to be ice on my windshield tomorrow morning, but this is the first day that I've felt Spring.

(I think Henley feels it too.)




    
     I never used to understand why people loved Friday so much and thought Friday was just the greatest and named restaurants because of this and thank goodness, it's Friday!!! Because I worked on weekends, and I didn't have that much of a workload with part-time college that it didn't make one bit of difference what day of the week it was, everything was chill. 

    Such is not the case anymore, and everything is not chill. Everything is very demanding, and exciting, but sometimes I go too fast and lose track of my priorities, my time with the Lord, and what I need to give the people I love. I am very pleased with every Wednesday that passes by; when Friday gets here, it really is time to celebrate. Especially since there is a man who is six-four and comes to pick me up in his big black truck.

   **********

     There are lots of things that make me happy. Mint ice cream makes me happy. A tank full of gas makes me happy. My guy makes me extremely happy. But when something is a gift given directly from my Father in Heaven, there's nothing better in the world, and that's what Spring is. Every single year, when the sun comes out again after six months of gray and you feel the start of warmth on your back dripping down to your shoes and seeping into your spine, that's not something a finite human being can produce. The goodness and lovingkindness of our Father is something that never ceases, and when you accept it, He never, ever leaves you wanting.

    I'm so happy right now I think I'll scream. : )

   
**********

   How was your week? I'm so happy to be back here writing! Hopefully I'll be back around more often in the next few weeks.

<3 Emma

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes - I love Fridays! Friday afternoon has to be my favourite time of the week; knowing you've got the rest of the weekend in store.

    Mint ice cream makes me happy, too. :)

    ALSO HE'S SIX FOOT FOUR INCHES?! That's like... a whole foot shorter than me. :P

    This week I went to an Aqua Park (like an obstacle course, but on water... I don't know if you've ever seen the show Wipe-out, but similar to that) and it was a lot of fun. It's got to be the most inelegant and humiliating, yet fun and hilarious activity out there. I think my most sore muscles would be my tummy muscles - from laughing so hard!

    It was good to hear from you again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS!

    Spring is actually one of my favorite things ever and I go full-on calf when the green starts coming out again and the cherry tree starts blossoming and I can wear flip-flops (or no shoes at all) and shorts and such.

    So glad your life is so full and busy and rich. :) Love & blessings always!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!