Friday, January 5, 2018

a "flaming testament" // 2017

(that's from a song by Mark Knopfler, just so you know the truth, I'm not that creative)

A year is over! As usual I feel myself a little stunned, but not very stunned, because I don't have time to be that stunned. I feel about a hundred years older after this one.

2017, let's see what happened....


// January //

  • I try to write songs, but that never really takes off. :-P
  • I apply for jobs, and start working Saturdays at a little store in my neighborhood.
  • Sadie, Henry and I go bowling one night, and I discover how much I love something I used to dislike.
  • I watch Texas Rising. And... yeah.
  • I find Wind River Ranch, fill out a big fat application, send the dang thing, and wait for awhile without breathing.
  • I take the placement test for college and start my first class there, which I didn't think I would like, but as per usual, I was wrong.
  • Sadie turns 16 and we go sledding, then Molly turns 21 and we go bowling. 

"I didn't know Emma was going to be this girl."
 - Mama





// February //

  • I turn 18 on the 2nd, and Sadie convinces me to have a party. We finally make the red velvet armadillo cake I'd been wanting ever since I saw Steel Magnolias for the first time four years ago.

looks like an armadillo, right? Don't say a rat.

  • I start another job, working as a waitress. Scared the heck out of me but I was determined to try....
  • I have a phone interview with one of the directors from Wind River, and I-kid-you-not I started to cry when he prayed for me at the beginning. Over the phone.
  • I spend too much time disliking school and disliking my job....
  • My mom and sisters and I watch Downton Abbey on Valentine's Day.
  • I wake up to the value of a dollar when I spend way too many of them on a t-shirt with a logo on it, then think about it all the way home. I vow to be a better steward with my money. (Funny part is, I don't even wear the shirt anymore.)
  • The Squad - consisting of Henry, Sadie, and Emma - go to an indoor rodeo with some of our super-duper cool friends. Emma doesn't get asked out like she always hopes for (used to) when she goes to rodeos, but we have a good time. ;-)

  • Sadie and I start going to a friend's youth group. Why did I have to wait till I was almost too old to find the best youth group ever?
  • Henry turns 17 and we redneck out as usual.


"Consider yourself on the team."
(I got the job at the ranch!!!!!)


// March // 

  • I find out that Les Mis is my history teacher's favorite musical and start to like him a lot more.
  • I really don't like my job, but I stick with it...
  • We go bowling with Henry's youth group, play bloody wrists and Indian wrestle with kids younger than me.
  • I drive through a lotta farmland and vineyards (I really do love NY) and dream about the future.
  • My mom, my sisters and I take a mini-vacation to PA, stop at my aunt's where Sadie and I see a Gold City concert at their church. Then we go to a Florida-Georgia Line at Stage College. I've never seen so many people in one place in my LIFE. 
  • I kinda wish I was Mennonite. For awhile. (Blame Pennsylvania.)
  • I watch The Alamo (2004) again which reinforces my faith in mankind and, well, men.

"I know how you like to write and write and write."
- my history teacher





// April //

  • I buy an iPhone and joined the modern age!
  • I discover Ryan Bingham, which is noteworthy.
  • I sell the cap that I bought with my truck! Yay money!
  • I buy (I buy a lot of things don't I???) another pair of cowboy boots from the coolest Amish guy ever. Colorado here I come!
  • Easter comes and we eat a lot of mini cheesecakes. 
  •  A guy leaves his number on my truck door and I tear it up and throw it out.
  • I start a job driving my neighbor to therapy appointments - might not sound like it but SO much fun.
  • Sadie and Henry and I win a talent show with our little band!
  • We go to a Cowboy's Spring Ball and two-step the night away in cowboy boots.

"Emma's cool - she's bold."
- my cousin Henry




// May //

  • We have our own annual spring ball with the dance group, and it's SO nice because I'm not crushing on anybody this year.
  • I plant stuff and watch it grow! Yee yee!
  • Henry, Peter, Sadie and I go on a wild goose chase to find a dance we'd heard about...finally we find it, are not impressed, leave, and laugh all the way home, harder than I had in a long time.
  • I quit my job...and then quit my other job.
  • Henry takes us to a horseshoeing clinic with a bunch of Amish guys. Completely lit. (But kinda weird.)
  • I have a plane ticket to Denver, Colorado!
  • I also have a plane ticket to San Antonio, Texas - my uncle and I go down there to visit my cousin for a week. 




I never fell in love with a land like I did with Texas.






// June //
  • I catch a fish for the first time in my life!
  • I graduate from high school...sort of. I kind of missed that. But at any rate I finish!
  • I get recognized at church for graduating and get a brand new beautiful Bible and almost die from all the love.
  • As usual, change is the only constant.
  • A bunch of people come over to our barn to celebrate Molly's graduation from college and mine from high school. Again, I almost die from the love. 
  • My Grandpa writes some Bible verses in my graduation card, I look them up and some of them don't exist... ;-P
  • We open the stand for the season and start picking strawberries every morning, and I'm in my glory.
  • My cousins and I go to the Stateline Speedway for the first time and I fall in love with the smells of rubber and dust clouds.
  • Sadie starts to drive more.
  • I start to get sick of picking strawberries...

"Hey - congratulations."
- New Guy











// July //
  • I get to sing the National Anthem at a 4th of July festival at my aunt and uncle's church. They say 5000 people were there. 
  • My truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere on the way home that very same night...
  • I find out that the guy I met at the fire hall, the one who showed up uninvited to my graduation party, is actually the same age as I am and not 20-something like I thought.
  • I start to like the guy I met at the fire hall, the one who showed up uninvited to my graduation party.
  • I read Roy Feek's book, This Life I Live. People should read that book.
  • I have blood drawn for the first time and feel like I'm gonna die (but I survive)
  • Sadie, Henry, and I go to see Chris Stapleton and I almost fall asleep driving home.
  • Emma Jane Anderson arrives in Colorado!


// August //
  • I work as wait staff, housekeeping, and even in childcare (AHHHH!) at Wind River Ranch.
  • A few girls and I go to Redrocks Church in Arvada one night, and for the first time I feel glad I came to CO.
  • I miss home something terrible and try to console myself listening to Brantley Gilbert at night.
  • I learn a lot about service to others, faithfulness when I'm far away from people I love, and being my own person in a strange place.
  • Glen Campbell dies :-(
  • I finally make friends with the other girls, and my heart actually breaks when I have to leave.





"I love you, you little noise in the other room."
- Samantha



// September //

  • I GO HOME!
  • Sadie and I drive to Ohio for a homeschool graduate's retreat. 
  • I start going to college, and am relatively unimpressed. My English teacher doesn't give out 100s. (wtf?)
  • Sadie and I go to the Mother Earth News Fair with our friends and I get to meet Joel Salatin! Also I get a hotel room in my name for the first time. Pretty weird.
  • We have a bonfire at the Brown's house and cook a squirrel, play Red Rover, and roast marshmallows.
  • I decide to join the fire department.
  • We go bowling, and I see him again, and it's good to be home.

"I saw a strike."
- New Guy/Mike






// October //
  • Tom Petty dies and I start listening to his music for the first time.
  • We find a kitty living in the upstairs of our barn and I name him Casper...until I find out he's a she.
  • The shooting in Las Vegas happens and Eric Church writes a song about it.
  • I start blogging again.
  • Molly comes home from college for a visit! 
  • We have a hayride. I leave a note on his truck at school inviting him to come, and he does.
  • I buy a puppy from an Amish man, and name him Henley after Don Henley. 
  • We go over to Mike's house for a bonfire. He shows me his turkeys and we play sneaks in the woods and afterwards he checks my arms for scratches with a flashlight and I'm not really sure why it sticks in my mind?
  • We go to a Halloween party at the Brown's house, play sneaks in the dark, I lose my pocketknife, and as we're driving away Mike flashes his blue light.  
  • We close the stand for the year and I buy a huge pumpkin from an Amish kid for $10 because ours are all gone.

"Emma doesn't act weird. She laughs really loudly."
- Sadie



// November //

  • We go out, and say we'll do it again.
  • My mom and Sadie and I go to see Molly at school and tour the city of Rochester. I sniff out a Carhartt outlet store and spend too much money.
  • I get a job at Tractor Supply.
  • We have our costume ball, and I go dressed up as Mia from La La Land.
  • I fly to Indiana for a few days to visit my friend Allie. We go to see Only the Brave and it's the best movie I've seen in a long, long time. I think about Veterans' Day a lot more this year than I ever have before.
  • I keep going to school, working on the other days, and seeing him.
  • I have a day off and Sadie and I go Christmas shopping and just drive around in the country like we used to when we had no responsibilities. 
  • I become a member of the fire department.
  • Mike and I go to the rodeo at Sundance and listen to Firefall and Bread all the way home.
  • I take a class for first responders on drug labs and get a little freaked out because the world is a messed-up place, but reassured too because there are people who deal with it.
  • Mike takes me hunting, and I shoot his 20 gauge. We use his math homework as a target.
  • My head is full of numbers, cash registers, fire engines, blue lights, and puppies.
  • I go to my first call, a vehicle off the road after hitting a deer. I don't do much except carry the chainsaw back to the truck.
  • I go to my second call, on Christmas morning. We lose the patient, but I'm extremely proud of my guys.
  • We have an unexpected and sorta weird but happy Christmas :-)






"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
- Philippians 4:6-7


Happy 2018 everyone!

8 comments:

  1. THERE'S A GUY. (Yep, that's the overarching thing I got out of this. I know.)

    Seriously, though, this was so cool to read, Emma! It sounds like you're really seizing the day and living life to the fullest. <3 You go, girl!

    Love and blessings always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... Congratulations WAS MAH FAVE PART

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the guy" as one of your tags
    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandpa writing Bible verses that don't exist. Something my grandpa would definitely do if he was religious. Sounds like you've gone through a lot of jobs. A good year it seems like(: This post was fun to read!
    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this post, Emma!! It sounds like you had an AWESOME year! I hope 2018 treats you just as good! :)

    - Maddy | littlebitofsunshineweb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could go through and comment on ALL of this beloved post, but alas, time is a thing, and 40 degree heat (104 Fahrenheit) at 4PM is ALSO a thing. So I must hurry through this and scurry through to the air conditioning.

    I love the way this was written. Your year was definitely eventful! Mine was pretty eventful too, but in different ways. I do love how everyone has a different year. Even though they may all be busy and a little intertwined with each other, they are never the same as anyone else's.

    And some of the things that I can't go past without hollering them out are:
    How your grandpa wrote Bible verses that don't exist! Ha! I spent the rest of the night trying to figure that one out and chuckling over it...

    How your guy used his math homework as the target. That is something I've wanted to do for YEEEARS.

    You tore up and threw out the number a guy left on your car door. Haha. xD

    Happy 2018 Emma!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT A YEAR YOU HAD, GIRL, full of adventure and deep feels of every kind, I relished your way of recounting them. :) Besides which the photos are simply tops.

    "The guy" - haha I love it, and I'm just glad for you. :)

    I hope you have an absolutely terrific 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to echo Olivia and say "THERE'S A GUY". Eeek!!! Happy for you. <3

    Your year sounds like it's been all sorts of amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us!! I hope 2018 is even more splendid. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!