Wednesday, January 10, 2018

back when I used to be a writer


(Oh, for green grasses and blue skies, and temperatures above zero!)


Lately a lot of things have been happening that are changing the way I roll. I used to write a lot - now I don't. And while most of these things that are happening are good, it doesn't change the fact that I really miss what I used to love more than anything.

I made the switch over to writing mostly nonfiction last spring, trying to blog more and leaving my fictional stories, short and looooong, languishing in my computer file unfinished. I still love fiction, and I still love every single one of those characters; if I opened those files and read them right now I'd probably start crying. That however might have less to do with the fact that I'm emotionally committed and more to do with the fact that I'm sleep deprived at the moment... but I digress. 

Something about nonfiction, though... For me, at the time, it felt more immediate, more professional. And it made me really excited. (I'm still going to write that book about homeschoolers and How We Will Take Over the World.)

Now I'm going to college, and the majority of everything I've written in the past six months has been to hand in to a teacher for them to grade. Which is good - because I'm thinking more about my audience when I write and how what I say will be perceived and understood. Bad - because college assignments are more often than not pretty flat. I haven't written a good family quarrel, or a mob drama, or - heavens! - a good kissing scene, in many, many moons. 

So lately (and probably having something to do with the fact that I'm going to college), I'm trying to conjure up ways I can write to make money. Probably sounds like a plan that won't hold water, but I don't have a whole lot to lose by trying! After all, I have all these dusty files of golden nuggets, rough but precious, just waiting to be dredged out and polished up! Who knows? Maybe some of them will see the light of day. At least going through some of them I remembered how good I used to be when I had the time to dedicate myself to it. But writing is like riding a bicycle - you never forget how, you just get a little rusty.

I also found this, a character interview that I used for one of my stories. I don't remember where I got it but it's the kind of thing I always liked to fill out. Just for kicks and giggles I thought I'd leave it here because that's what writers do on their blogs and it's what I used to do, back when I was one. :)


CHARACTER INTERVIEW - Memory Lane

Conflict with hero/heroine: 
External:  conflict with cousin Ty and Ty’s girlfriend
Internal:  conflict with desire to be a singer and anger over her mother’s leaving to pursue a singing career

Most outstanding physical feature: dark brown eyes

Why character stays or leaves home:  leaves home because her grandma dies; then stays home with aunt, uncle, cousins because she doesn’t want to leave; finally feels time to find a new home. The meaning of home changes.

Character’s deepest dream:  to feel wanted.

Character’s story goal:  to be at peace with her mother’s leaving, her cousin moving on, and to find peace with growing up herself

Externally:  getting along with Ty’s girlfriend, even though she doesn’t want to

Internally:   realizing the importance and sometimes benefits of change

Worst thing that has happened to character:  Memory’s dad died, but worse than that her mom left when Memory was seven

How character sees themselves:  unextraordinary, nobody special, strong enough to hold her own but not a person that anybody else would want

How others see character:  too hard on herself, quietly pretty, talented, 

Who has influenced character most:  her cousin Ty, later Skyler Wayne

How does this character differ from other characters:  she doesn’t want to be on her own -- she craves dependence, not independence

Character’s amount of self-control, self-discipline, judgement:  scale of 1 to 10 -- self-control, 8, self-discipline, 9, judgement, 9

Do you like Character? Why? Will readers?  YES. Because I understand her. And I think yes, because they will understand her.

Is character based on a real person? Sort of. 

Character’s secret:  she still hurts over her mother leaving, and her cousin giving her less attention. She longs to feel wanted. Also she’s in love with Hunter Hayes and she doesn’t really want that leaking out because she’s got a thing called pride.

Character’s handicap:  she thinks too little of her own resilience.

Character’s needs:  to be valued and useful and desired.

One true thing:  there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
Secondary character:  Skyler Wayne

Symbol that expresses character’s personality:  Memory’s denim skirt

Scars:  physical or figurative? Emotional scars include -- dad’s death, mom’s leaving, grandma’s death

Safe Place:  Alan and Marty (aunt and uncle)'s house

Favorite Color:  blue

Favorite Music:  Broadway shows and Hunter Hayes

Favorite Food:  mint brownies

Favorite Literature:  Sarah, Plain and Tall books

Favorite Expression:  the heck

Favorite Expletive:  see above



We'll see what else I can find in the abyss of all this that has some merit. 

See ya on the flipside!

Emma

2 comments:

  1. (For some reason I don't get notifications when you post. Maybe I clicked the wrong button somewhere along the line...)

    Gee whiz, this girl has some similarities to me, haha! And also very much so to you in many areas. ;) And *cough*, as soon as I saw that her deepest dream was to feel wanted, I knew she'd fall in love with Hunter Hayes.

    I wish you all the best with your endeavours! :D I'm sure you can spin a good yarn out of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get so excited when I see new posts from you, Emma!!!! I absolutely LOVE reading your blog posts!
    Oh, and just in case you were interested, I'm doing a giveaway on my blog if you'd like to enter :)

    - Maddy | littlebitofsunshineweb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!