Monday, January 29, 2018

1.27.18


The land knows you, even when you are lost.

~ Robin Wall Kimmerer, 
Braiding Sweetgrass


     My sister Molly turned 22 this past Saturday. My mom, my other sister, and a few various relatives of questionable character made the 2+ hour trip to surprise her at college. I was going to go with the evening before, but as events unfolded I ended up making the drive up the next morning by myself. They told Molly I wasn't coming because I was called in to work at the last minute, so it was a surprise when I showed up the next morning, holding a giant pink troll pillow in front of my face at that. (I would have screamed too, had I been on the receiving end of that situation.)

     Heading out in the early morning by myself, heading eastward on I-86, I was reminded of the weeks last Spring when I drove my neighbor to her therapy appointments. She loved my little truck, and raved on and on about how wonderful it was. We would talk the entire hour it took to get there, and the entire hour back, stopping at the gas station on the Indian reservation to fuel up because at the time it was 30 cents cheaper there than at home.

     I thought of that, and then as I drove further into less familiar territory, through one county after another, I thought of the day two years ago when my sister Sadie and I went to visit my cousin where he goes to school. We took some of the very same back roads I was driving then.

     I flipped through local radio stations, caught some of American Pie on one, the tail end of Hotel California on another. I sped through areas where the speed limit wasn't marked. I was giddy with pleasure, because it was a beautiful morning and I was on the road where I wanted to be.

     When you're on the road, you pick up a little piece of every place you pass through. That's why I like to go the back roads rather than the straight, boring Interstate; you see more of the real world that way. Big farms, double-wide trailers, and pristine Amish houses lined the road at intervals. The poorest county in NY state is also the most beautiful. And maybe this is just me, but when I've been someplace, no matter how long ago it was, if I ever pass there again I'll remember. It's weird, almost like a sixth sense. The sense of direction.

     What is it about the land?

     When I was growing up, and still now (well, I guess I'm still growing up, :) I always had an acute awareness of the land. Maybe because I grew up working with it. People want a nice house, nice car, nice clothes. I want all of that too, of course, but I always wanted land. I wanted to see it and explore it and own it. The beautiful thing, too, is that you don't even have to own it; as long as you have feet, or wheels, anyplace you go to becomes yours. At least that's the way I've always felt about it.

     After being at school all week, and working, and trying to prove things to people that I'm not too sure of myself, it was life-giving to get behind the wheel and just go. The places I've been make me feel welcomed with familiar feelings, and the places I see for the first time offer me something I've never had before.

     It's the little things like this I think the Lord gives us when He knows we need to be reminded. :)

******

     The birthday celebration was very nice. I don't have any pictures to show for it because the storage on my phone is completely full, but it involved our first-ever experience with Air B'nB, shopping for a wedding dress (not for my sister) (for me) (JUST KIDDING), and trading keys and driving other people's cars. I didn't get to see my sister nearly enough but I'm still glad I got to see her at all. :) Mercifully they went to Panera Bread the night before I got there.

     Now it's back to the daily grind.... How was your weekend?

~ Emma

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh I wanna see Rachel's wedding dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Shopping for a wedding dress (not for my sister) (for me) (JUST KIDDING)" << HAHA. I second Naomi's comment. :P (It's pretty exciting stuff, though, your cousin getting married!)

    My sense of direction is terrible. The funny thing is (this is really weird) but when I go past certain places, or types of scenery, I am reminded of what I was thinking LAST time I travelled through that area! Or even what song I was listening to! It's pretty creepy. :P

    My weekend was AMAZING! I went on a camping trip with 22 other young adults (well... I'm not exactly a young adult yet, but I pretend I am ;D) and we went swimming in freezing water holes, a river with rapids, we explored the bush, played cards till midnight (I was on such a lucky streak, it was great), learnt how to play Poker, learnt how to play Bluff and realized I am actually pretty good at bluffing people, and was able to talk to bunches of people for four whole days. I didn't want it to end.

    Now I'm back to the daily grind, also. Horrid school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Love that quote at the beginning about the land.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!